Are Potatoes Gluten Free?
At their core, potatoes are tuberous crops. They’re naturally gluten-free, as gluten is a protein found in grains like wheat, barley, and rye. So, if you’re munching on a freshly boiled or baked potato, you’re in the clear!
However, while potatoes in their raw form are gluten-free, the journey from farm to table can introduce potential pitfalls. Some potato-based products such as potato starch and potato flour, might be processed in facilities that handle gluten-containing ingredients. This is where the risk of cross-contamination sneaks in.
Here at Duinkerken, our facilities are proudly free from zones. This means there’s no chance of cross-contamination, ensuring that our products are not just gluten-free in name but in practice.
When potatoes might not be gluten-free
While the humble potato in its natural form is a gluten-free gem, there are scenarios where this tuber might come into contact with gluten. Here are some examples:
- In processed foods:
- Potato chips: While many potato chips are simply potatoes fried in oil with salt, some flavours and brands might include gluten-containing seasonings or malt vinegar. The use of shared processing equipment can also introduce the risk of cross-contamination.
- Frozen fries: Not all frozen fries are created equal. Some might have a coating to make them crispier when baked or fried, and this coating could contain gluten. Others might be seasoned with ingredients that have gluten.
- At restaurants:
- Shared fryers: One of the most common pitfalls in restaurants is the use of shared fryers. If the same oil is used to fry gluten-containing items like breaded chicken and French fries, there’s a risk of cross-contamination. Always ask the restaurant if they have a dedicated fryer for gluten-free items.
- Preparation areas: Even if a dish is inherently gluten-free, the preparation area can be a source of gluten cross-contamination. For instance, if a chef cuts a gluten-containing pie and then slices potatoes on the same board without cleaning it, there’s potential for gluten transfer.
- In packaged goods:
- Additives and fillers: Some packaged potato products, like instant mashed potatoes, potato starch, and potato flour, might contain additives, fillers, or flavourings that have gluten. These can be added to improve texture, taste, or shelf life.
Be wary of terms like “modified food starch,” which could be derived from wheat. When in doubt, contact the manufacturer or opt for another brand.
It’s crucial to become a diligent label reader. Look for clear indications like “gluten-free” (GF) or certification symbols.
At Duinkerken, we’re not just about providing gluten-free products; we’re about trust and transparency. Our ‘free-from’ facilities ensure that what you get is pure, uncontaminated, and truly gluten-free.
Read more about our free-from promise here.
Potato facts to fry your mind
Did you know that…?
- Potatoes were first cultivated by the Inca Indians in Peru around 8,000 BC to 5,000 B.C.
- They’re the world’s fourth-largest food crop, following rice, wheat, and maize.
- Potatoes are packed with Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and more potassium than a banana!
- Potato flour and potato starch are popular gluten-free alternatives in baking and cooking, providing structure and moisture to baked goods.
- For those who not only avoid gluten but also follow a low FODMAP diet for IBS, potatoes are a safe and delicious option as they contain no FODMAPs.
Incorporating potatoes into your meals and desserts is not just about savouring their delightful taste but also about embracing a health-conscious choice. Their array of benefits makes them a must-have in every kitchen, especially for those keen on merging taste with nutrition.
Potatoes are healthy!
Potatoes are a significant source of energy-rich carbohydrates, essential vitamins like C and B6, and vital minerals such as potassium. Their fibre content, particularly in the skin, aids digestion and ensures regularity. Additionally, they boast antioxidant compounds that fight off free radicals, and their satiating nature can assist in weight management.
Hungry for more? Dive into our recipes section for delicious gluten-free dishes starring our Premium Potato Starch, our famous Biscuit Mix, and more! And if you’re eager to bake, explore our shop for the finest gluten-free baking mixes. At Duinkerken, we transform gluten-free baking into a delightful culinary journey.